Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any electrical manufacturers providing symbols in dwg? dxf?  (Read 5968 times)
FynrDzynr
Global Moderator
Forum Mentor

Age=overthehill but I'm not saying which one!

« on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »

I've contacted Clipsal (Schneider Electric) regarding the electrical symbols they use on their Essential Checklist Project Planner.
http://www.clipsal.com/homeowner/__data/page/81/G0000062.pdf
Unfortunately, I'm told it's only available in png format even though the link above is to a pdf  :roll:
The format used that is showing in Essential Checklist is in .png.  We use this format for our Electrical Upselling Software called Clipspec.
What I believe you need is this software to grow your business and  professional presenting plans to your clients.
This software accepts .dwg and exports .dwg as the final electrical drawing.  It does calculates every product you drop to the plan and gives you the total value spent.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes their symbols available in dwg, dxf, 3ds or skp format?

I just want to be able to offer my clients room plans at 1:20 or 1:10 with an Electrical Legend which they can markup. I'd then update the plan & print for them. Any suggestions as to the sort of fees you'd charge for this service?
Merv

As an aside, I zoomed to 3200% in the above pdf & it doesn't become pixellated so I'm assuming it's a vector pdf. Can someone @Cadsoft confirm that we'll be able to snap to all the endpoints & intersections in that pdf? (with the US$500 pdf module)
Merv

Envisioneer CS 9.1
Designer-artist-story teller - translating someone's dream (mine or my client's) into words & pictures of what could be
Member, Building Designers Assoc Qld
Member, Australian Architecture Assoc
davmor+

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:04:25 AM »

Hi Merv,

Could you simply convert the PNG files to a preferred format?

or create your own DWG symbol library?

davmor
FynrDzynr
Global Moderator
Forum Mentor

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:17:01 AM »

I figured it would be easier if I can find a manufacturer that provides all this. Would save a huge amount of time . .
Still hoping someone with access to the much vaunted pdf module to download the pdf I linked to & confirm whether it's a vector pdf or not. Chantale says it can explode vector pdfs into the individual lines which would be even better than tracing over the lot.
Not lazy, just aim to be as efficient as possible.
Merv

Envisioneer CS 9.1
Designer-artist-story teller - translating someone's dream (mine or my client's) into words & pictures of what could be
CB
Forum Mentor

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:15 AM »

Is this catalogue from clipsal still relevant for electric symbols?
I am re working these items at the moment and have used the following method for creating and inserting new electric symbols for the catalogue.

Create the symbol in worksheet view and save it as a block (Define Block)  >  Add a new worksheet titled 'symbols'    >   Insert the block here, and then export as dwg     >      Create new element (ie. light switch) in the catalogue by importing geometry from file. That's it.
After each export from worksheet, delete the symbol to get a fresh sheet.
Certainly easier than exporting a block through an autocad 2D type  program.

Chris
stephan
Forum Mentor

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »

Hi Merv,

I tried what you suggested. Doesn't work. Does not even imort the legend correectly in PDF. Changes all the symbols to something I don't know. See attachments. Any suggestions?
Regards
Stephan

* Actual PDF By Clipsal.jpg (207.33 KB, 963x708 - viewed 226 times.)

* Clipsal Legend PDF By ENVISIONEER.jpg (142.81 KB, 786x609 - viewed 222 times.)
FynrDzynr
Global Moderator
Forum Mentor

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:59:52 AM »

Looks like Clipsal may have defined their symbols using extended characters for a particular font . . . . ? but I really dunno.
just guessing because if they were raster (bunch of dots) or vector (combination of lines etc) Env should be able to display it correctly.

Email it to support - pdf is being given some attention atm so a bit more added to the mix . . .
Merv

Envisioneer CS 9.1
caullystone
Forum Friend

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »

I use a shareware .pdf to .dwg converter.

It converts vector .pdf to lines in .dwg and was about £50. Send me the .pdf and I will try it for you.
FynrDzynr
Global Moderator
Forum Mentor

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »

G'day Jon!
linked to in the OP.
Most odd numbered pages contain the legend.
Merv

Envisioneer CS 9.1
Kajvin - Robert W

My Holiday in Golden CO 2006

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »

Try some of this sites: http://www.cadblocksfree.com/index.php?id=52
http://www.bibliocad.com/library/symbols-for-electrical-installation_5475

I use:
ProArchitect 2 version 2.1.3.1234
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer: