Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another issue (or question) with V6  (Read 3982 times)
stephan
Forum Mentor

« on: January 29, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »

When inserting windows by selecting "centre of wall", it does not insert on centre.

Stephan
chrisjcohen
Forum Friend

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

Hi Stephan
If you are puting a window in centre or close to a internal wall it will not go into that place.
Or you have to be on the same location or floor level.
It may be you are on 1 st floor  and settings are on 2 nd floor.
Change location to match the level you are putting the window in
I have had some problem with 6 so will wait until the real program arrives not just a test with bits missing.
Hope this helps
Chris
FynrDzynr
Global Moderator
Forum Mentor

Age=overthehill but I'm not saying which one!

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »

G'day Stephan!
Seems to work correctly here in half a dozen different scenarios. However, I do have an issue with WW & DR insertions. If you pick using the internal side of the wall, WindoW & DooR operator symbols don't display in elevations. However, this isn't specific to the trial - it's been an ongoing thing.
Merv
Quote from: "stephan"
When inserting windows by selecting "centre of wall", it does not insert on centre.

Envisioneer CS 9.1
Designer-artist-story teller - translating someone's dream (mine or my client's) into words & pictures of what could be
Member, Building Designers Assoc Qld
Member, Australian Architecture Assoc
stephan
Forum Mentor

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »

Morning Merv

Well, I assigned 1mm external and internal surfaces, still no go with the dimensions.

The window I inserted has the grabhandle on one side, that is why it doesn't insert to the centre.

The floors when inserting manually, do not snap to core (centre).

I set my hatching for my walls, but it does not show in worksheet. If you add hatching in worksheet, it does not update.Don't aorry about this one. Irealised that the hatching set in the wall properties applies to the suface and elevations only. Would be nice to have it for PLAN views as well. Then the smart view will update it as well.
Did the views come out with so little clean up work in EV5 already? I can see that there aren't too much to be done compared to EV4. Not all those layers and layers of small lines on top of each other.

Stephan
FynrDzynr
Global Moderator
Forum Mentor

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:35:37 AM »

G'day Stephan!
Well, I assigned 1mm external and internal surfaces, still no go with the dimensions.

Doesn't pick up internal walls in auto exterior dims . . . no matter which options I select. I even selected all 3 but it plain refuses to play ball.
The window I inserted has the grabhandle on one side, that is why it doesn't insert to the centre.

That shouldn't make any difference. Can you Export the particular window to a BIM file & post it here?
The floors when inserting manually, do not snap to core (centre).

It snaps to the outside face of the frame (core) That's why I said to move each edge a mm inwards
I set my hatching for my walls, but it does not show in worksheet. If you add hatching in worksheet, it does not update.

Are you inserting a Patterned View? If so, what pattern? I assume it displays correctly in Patterned View in the model . . .
Did the views come out with so little clean up work in EV5 already? I can see that there aren't too much to be done compared to EV4. Not all those layers and layers of small lines on top of each other.
Yes, every release & cut has improved it but of course users of AP & Build still have much higher expectations  :lol:
Merv

Envisioneer CS 9.1
Designer-artist-story teller - translating someone's dream (mine or my client's) into words & pictures of what could be
stephan
Forum Mentor

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 04:10:36 AM »

Well Merv, it seems like their floor insertion tool won't work for me. There are no surfaces and it does not snap to the centre of the core.

I also tried to insert a section of my test model into worksheet. Did not want to at all. Keeps on telling me that EV has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

I can also see that there will still be a lot of cleaning up in sections, and even total new draughting.

Stephan
stephan
Forum Mentor

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »

Merv

I got the floor and wall insertion sorted out. Can't come right with the auto dimensions though.

I did find two new "bugs":
  - The terrain seems to be tilted in elevations and sections.
  - The foundations that are supposed to be attatched to walls aren't.

I can though insert sections in other files to worksheet. Don't know what happened in that one.

Stephan
Jack Zimmer
Forum Mentor

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 01:26:25 AM »

This may seem a bit harsh but I think some care should be taken in words used.

I was just on Amazon reading some of the reviews of HGTV Home Design program, a stripped down version of Envisioneer. I was amazed by the inaccurate reviews. It is very disappointing to see people either not test or purposely make negative comments.

=====================================

In this posting, a topic heading  of "Another Issue with V6" starts off on a bad note. Then the many comments, of which some are hashed out through discussion, leave a general oveview that v6 is bad.

In all beta testing I've done, it requires 3 people to confirm a specificly defined 'problem' before it is called a 'Bug'. It is also required that very specific and detailed instructions are given on how to test a problem and only after each step is repeated and the same result is obtained, is that problem reported.

I'd like to see the 'jump to conclusion' wording tuned down while someone else has had a chance to review and confirm that there are problems.

Many people view these forums. Not many people seem to actively particapate in discussions though. I'd hate for new people to the forum to get the opinion that v6 is not good.

Problems could be worded with something like:

' I'm having a problem inserting windows by center. The window I am inserting has an offset insertion point. Is anyone else having problems inserting by center? I am using right click 'center on wall' and inserting a 2'6 x 3'5 Dbl Hung directly from the Catalog into a standard 6" wall.

or

Is anyone else getting a footing that is not inserted at the base of the foundation wall like in the attached image. I used ...... describe how you made the walls / footings.

I think that if care was taking with wording and steps used in coming up with an 'error' described, it would be easier to reproduce and determine if in fact it is a bug or user error.

I hope to get my copy of v6 soon. Until then I can only sit and wince.
Jack

Jack Zimmer

email: jkzimm at charter.net

Zimmer Design
http://www.zimmerdesign.com/

3D House Designs
Your custom 3D Model - starting at $350
http://3dhousedesigns.com/

Roof Training Videos - email me for info./ link
FynrDzynr
Global Moderator
Forum Mentor

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 02:46:53 AM »

G'day Jack!
I totally agree. Too often the description of the steps taken to achieve the unexpected result is far too vague for one to respond with any certainty.

Unfortunately the "Sticky" has been overused here but I honestly believe we need one that outlines the steps a user needs to take to document a perceived problem. The first should be "can you duplicate this behaviour in a new bld?" Then there need to be guidelines for posting a perceived problem.

I can understand the frustration of a user when things don't work as expected. I currently have an issue from another user where a dutch gable infill doesn't display correctly (actually places the infill as if the next hip back were a dutch). I discussed it with Maurice several times. Then I found that using the same parameters v5 did the same. When I get time I'll have to revisit it but for now it's just too time-consuming trying to find the "trigger".

Merv

Envisioneer CS 9.1
stephan
Forum Mentor

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:39:44 AM »

Hi Jack & Merv

I apologise if I gave the wrong impression or stepped on some toes with the wording of the topic and the content of the post. It was not ment to degrade the program or chase future business away for anyone!

I did not state it as a fact that these are BUGS. As you can see, I accentuated the word BUG, so people can realise that I'm not sure.

But, thank you for the advise, and me NOT having english as my mother tongue, will have to be much more careful in future in the way I try to make myself clear!!! Just for the record: If you read all my contributions on certain postings, you will find that I often stated that I think Envisioneer is a great product.
SORRY about any inconvenience caused by me. No harm intended!

Stephan
Jack Zimmer
Forum Mentor

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »

Hi Stephan,

I specifically selected this post because I knew you like the product, you have posted great questions / responses in the past and that you wouldn't hold my comments against me.

As Merv stated, there are too many 'sticky' already so hopefully others will read and try to ask questions with a bit more detail.

I think the way I was taught to present problems was good. I fact I have a great deal of respect for those who taught me.

Together we can sort out all sorts of situations :-)

Jack

Jack Zimmer

Zimmer Design

3D House Designs

stephan
Forum Mentor

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »

Hi Jack

I think we are on the same playing field here. Therefore we should be allowed to post all our successes,achievements,gladness and concerns.

And yes, I do have the world's respect and admiration for guys like you,Merv and Ed who still find the time to assist guys like me when ever we have some difficulties with appretiating the abilities of Envisioneer.

Hope I can afford to upgrade very soon because I now see what I've been missing out on in terms of productivity since EV 5 was launched.

Stephan
bundulla
Forum Friend

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »

G'Day Jack,
I fact I have a great deal of respect for those who taught me.
me too Jack, and for your knowledge of, & enthusiasm for Envisioneer, and your willingness to share it with the rest of us, but I think Cadsoft's poor communication is contributing to this problem.
They could have done a post themselves, or responded to my opening
I'm not sure if we should be waiting for the real thing before worrying about problems with the trial version BUT..
, telling us they had rushed the trial version to allow us to get our hands on it, & in so doing had released with some flaws which would not be in the full version.

Why haven't you got V6 yet?

Maurie

Maurie

Dundas, Australia
stephan
Forum Mentor

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »

Hey Maurie,
 I share your sentiments and also think that Cadsoft only reacts when you step on some toes, but I think we should continue this discussion on the "voice your opinion" forum before we get kicked out again. Well, last time that was the only response I got from Cadsoft.
Stephan
Jack Zimmer
Forum Mentor

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »

I've got to fiqure out how to use 'quote' :-)

Merv asked
Why haven't you got V6 yet?

Unfortunetly my Dad passed away two weeks ago, then I spent time at IBS show and on return had to rush my Mom to the hopital (grief related).

I spent most of last year remodeling and selling their home so they would have some cash to live on in Assisted Living. A lot gets eaten up fast.

So, I just haven't had the time to get v6 yet. My Mom has come around full circle, so maybe now I'll have some time to get some work done.

My Dad was 90, he was very interested in the work all of you did. He was my best friend (not is sentimental terms, in reality). He taught me that the concerns of others were only exceeded by those of family. I don't think I can live up to his standards , but I try.

Jack

Jack Zimmer

Zimmer Design

3D House Designs

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: